One of the best games of last year is coming to a store near you. After a year of Shovel Knight being available on various digital store fronts, developer Yacht Club Games has announced that the game will be getting a retail release this October. In spirit of the games it is inspired by, the physical disk will come with a manual and all of the current DLC packages for free, and the future DLC will be free as well. The DLC includes:
- Battle Mode: A “Smash Bros” type of mode available on PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, and PC
- Body Swap Mode: Enables the ability to swap the gender of any of the Knights in the game.
- Plague of Shadows Campaign: A new campaign where you play as Plague Knight.
- King Knight’s Campaign: A new campaign where you play as King Knight.
- Specter Knight’s Campaign: A new campaign where you play as Specter Knight
The retail Shovel Knight will release on October 13th in North America and October 16th in Europe on PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, and 3DS, with a PC version available in Europe only.
Selling over 700,000 copies online and winning over 100 accolades, many of them being Game of the Year awards, this seems like a logical step for Shovel Knight to take now. Personally, even though I bought this game twice already, once on 3DS and once on PS4/Vita, I will definitely be buying this again for the box. I can’t recommend this game enough.